Two Women Talk: No. 1

Like many others during the height of the lockdown, I spent a lot of time on Zoom in webinars, workshops, and private gatherings to stay connected, sane, and either hone up on skills or learn something new. There were a lot of intriguing and serendipitous connections being made. 

In this particular case, I cannot remember exactly when or how but I do remember where - Instagram - another alternative photographic printmaker and I connected over...one of her images? Mine? Another artist whose feed we both followed? Either way, one comment lead to another and then a mutual follow, a few back and forth messages, and then an idea blossomed...

Through a few Instagram message exchanges, I learned this woman lived where I frequent - in a small community outside of Bellingham, WA - where I fly to in order to make a short drive to one of the islands to see family. Her art style is one I resonate with and admire greatly. We discovered quite a few parallels in our lives, like: 
  • we both have adult sons of similar ages and became new grandmothers during Covid times
  • she lives a short drive from the Canadian border; I live a short drive from the Mexico border
  • we both love the mysterious, dappled light from forest environs
  • we like bees wax and handmade papers
  • natural elements are the central focus of our art work 
  • we both love the experimental aspects of chemistry and science with art
  • we aren't outcome driven, we are process and play driven
  • we care passionately about our environments and the history and peoples inhabiting them

Towards the end of 2020 (I think we ran across each other in the fall), I suddenly had this idea to see if we might collaborate on a year long art project together for 2021. The original idea I pitched has now morphed into something completely looser and much deeper - being propelled forward by regular, free-flowing conversations about everything and nothing in particular but somehow circling back to our respective art practices. A 'quick chat' turns into hours of exploding ideas and shared concerns or funny stories. I feel like I need to record our conversations because there are so many great tidbits shared, I fail to note all of them down!

These bi-monthly posts, the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of every month, will be about these conversations, the growing friendship, and how that influences the output of our art practices. It's incredibly energizing to have a kindred spirit to create and co-create with. What fun!

My new friend and sister in art is Ellen Dooley, an accomplished artist and teacher in many artistic mediums, largely alternative photographic processes but certainly not limited to that. 

Ellen's blog link:      Ellen Dooley
Ellen's Instagram link:   Instagram / Ellen
My Instagram links:   Instagram / mojavelight    or                             Instagram / projectmojavelight

We hope to have a separate website from our blogs where we will be posting images of the kind of work that emerges from our conversations. We plan to have a book of that work, possibly a live exhibition (or 2 or 3) at some point, and will be working collaboratively not just from our respective studios (PNW and Mojave Desert) but also together - this September, in fact, when I drive/camp my way up to the PNW for family time and just because I love traveling in the western part of the US. We've even tossed around doing destination workshops. In case you are wondering, we have met in person - just a couple of months ago when I went up for my granddaughter's 1st birthday. We shared a very chatty conversation over coffee like long time friends. 

I will leave you with a couple images reflecting the serendipity and process of our collaboration. It's pretty cool. I am looking forward to the tangible output as we grow along.

The image below has two small cyanotype pieces in it. On the left is one I did a few years ago. I didn't like how the entire cyanotype turned out so I tore off the part I did and then mounted it to a 3x3 inch wood block finished with 2 coats of a cold wax varnish. I don't feel it's complete yet as I intend to wax over a piece of tissue paper with a poem on it. The wax will make the tissue disappear with the words floating on top...but, I might leave it as is.  On the right is an ornament in an antique frame that Ellen made last December for holiday gifts. On the other side is another branch image but this side really spoke to me. The simplicity of the bare tree with birds. My image was taken in a very busy neighborhood in San Diego - you'd never know the city chaos happening under that branch. Ellen's was taken in the solitude and peace of the forest where she lives (if I remember correctly).      Do you see the similarities in what we see?


Ellen sent me some things to play with from her environs...homework if you will. There's a large piece of paper birch bark, skeleton leaves (my favorite!), an accordion book made with hand processed images (photograms), an old silver tray to play with embedding an image on (here's where beeswax comes in), slivers of gypsum (I think!), and a beautiful piece of silk with a fern leaf 'photographed' on it in cyanotype (photogram). They are so beautiful and wonderful to hold - I'm afraid of "messing them up"...but that's the point. At some point, the "mess" becomes beautiful again...


And here is a closer look at that yummy piece of silk on the tray....not a great snapshot to show detail but you'll get the point. 


I have a 'homework' box for Ellen as well. It goes in the mail this afternoon. This is how our conversations and collaboration flow at the moment - lots of inspiration, lots of new ways of experimenting with familiar materials we both love using, and more importantly, lots of fun.

If you have any questions about this collaborative art endeavor, please post in the comments below. Ellen and I will jump in on each other's posts whenever the need arises.

Grab a cup of tea and come sit with us for a chat...




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seeking Shelter (aka Querencia 2)

Promise yourself...

19 March 2012