Diversions

Whew! After returning from my blissful week up the coast of California, my car was catapulted down the roller coaster track. I think I'm finally coming back up to the starting gate....

The past 3 weeks:

My daughter left for her scheduled deployment to the other side of the world. Tough saying "See you later..." but I'm excited that she's excited about this opportunity to experience and learn about all the intriguing cultures on this complex planet. It was an emotional parting that day...especially so when I heard tiny little voices around me saying, "Goodbye Mommy! Goodbye Daddy!". The ship was lined with Sailors and Marines as they 'manned the rails' upon departing the harbor. This is one shot I took as she came under the Coronado Bridge flanked by patrol boats and a helicopter for safe travels out to open waters. My daughter is one of those white uniforms - except she was dashing about on deck taking pictures also....



This event was closely followed (like the same day) with my start of school. I missed part of staff development but it didn't take long to settle in and start honing young minds on the ways to problem solve and work together as a team. 3rd year in a row - I'm blessed with another group of sweet, funny, pretty-darned-smart 9-10 year olds. Feels like playtime every day. In this snapshot, they had to design a bridge with all groups using the same materials and communicating via one team member per group as they consulted on ONE design for all to complete. Enlightening.....


And THEN, we had a torrential downpour last weekend - like 2 years worth of rain in 20 minutes. This is my street, completely submerged in a flash flood...shin deep; the wash behind my house, a raging river. Good friends just over the hill had an entire hillside melt INTO their home - 4 feet of solid mud, countertop high. We've been busy feeding them and gathering forces to help clear out and salvage what could be saved all week - on top of everyone trying to maintain a work schedule. I'm always in awe of how my community pulls together to support our neighbors when life throws a curveball.....


That same week, I had a slow leak behind the shower wall that managed to pool enough water to soak my walls and baseboard. There's a lovely hole in the wall with the leak detected and capped off. But it'll be a month before it dries out enough to see just how much remodeling will need to get done. I'll spare you the pictures of a beat up master bathroom.....

Now, I am working on preparing for the Hwy. 62 Art Tours which is next month. A very pleasant diversion even though I feel SO behind in my creations. Fortunately, I discovered what I most wanted to focus on presenting for this year's show - transferring (not decoupaging...) my images onto square wood blocks. Not only does it look unique but it's very therapeutic.  I'm really digging how each piece is turning out. Each one original; a one of a kind presentation for some of my favorite images captured so far. What you see in the one block is paper pulp I've rubbed away. The image slowly emerges as I painstakingly, by hand, rub and peel off the paper backing. Each piece takes at least 2 days to create. I have a dozen so far - along with handmade greeting cards, some 8 x 10 and 11 x 14 fine art prints and a few framed prints. Better get crackin' if I'm going to have it ready in a month!



From here on out - at least until the end of October, my posts will reflect my progress in the studio in preparation for the Hwy. 62 Art Tours. If you are close enough to travel to the Morongo Basin the last 2 weekends in October, please stop. There are over 100 artists showing in the basin this year. A wonderful way to meet the locals, get inspired, and bring home something to add good energy to your surrounds.  I am showing the first weekend only - October 19 and 20.

Hope to see you then....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seeking Shelter (aka Querencia 2)

Promise yourself...

19 March 2012